This is a beautiful golden, clear, delicate, tasting jelly. Avoid the bitter milk in the flower stems, and any green parts it is UNPLEASANT! Great for gift giving. If you want to add more color add a couple drops of yellow. I found no need. Lavender Sugar With Vanilla is fabulous in this recipe used as the sugar or add a vanilla bean to the 3 cups of dandelion liquid for vanilla flavor. May 2011-I did a sun tea approach. I put the flowers in a large jar added 3 cups hot water and placed in the sun then left at room temperature for 24 hours. Strained then proceeded with the recipe.
- 1 quart of lightly packed fresh organic bright dandelion flowers (try to use only yellow petals discarding the green which I just pinch off)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zest of, thinly chopped (optional)
- 5 1⁄2 cups sugar, or
- 5 1⁄2 cups lavender sugar with vanilla, Lavender Sugar With Vanilla
- 1 vanilla bean, split (optional)
- 1 (1 3/4 ounce) package dry pectin
- Using stainless steel pan, boil the flowers in 2 quarts of spring water for 10 minutes, cool, and strain, pressing the liquid out of the flowers gently, then restrain through a coffee filter.
- Measure 3 cups of the liquid, add the lemon juice, zest and pectin. Optional: add 1 split vanilla bean.
- Put into a deep jelly kettle and bring to a rolling boil, then add sugar and stir to mix well.
- Stir and boil hard for 1 1/2 minutes, or until mixture sheets from a wooden spoon, skim, carefully remove vanilla pod, pour into hot clean half pint jelly jars and seal.
- May 4,2010 - I made using 6 cups liquid, 7 cups sugar juice of 1 lemon just over 4 tablespoons, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and 1 1.75oz(49)grams of pectin. Making 9 1/2 pint jars.