Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Inspired by Jessica K's wonderful recipe (#136460). IMPORTANT NOTES: While I can buy tender arugula at Trader Joe's, I find that the supermarket dandelion leaves are all pretty tough, even the organic ones. So it would be better to pick some fresh young dandelion leaves from a lawn that is not chemically treated. Regarding amounts of ingredients for this salad: Normally I am pretty flexible when giving amounts for salads, but I will say this: when using bitter greens such as dandelion, or peppery/pungent greens such as arugula, make sure you have enough milder veggies (such as tomato, avocado, cuke, etc.) to counter the sharpness of those greens.
- 2 cups dandelion greens, cleaned and dried (or arugula)
- 2 teaspoons red onions, slivered
- 2 ripe avocados, sliced
- 2 vine ripened tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 2 -3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or 2 -3 tablespoons organic flax seed oil
- 3 -4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried dill
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Tear dandelion greens into bite sized pieces, discarding the tough parts and stems. Place greens in a salad bowl.
- Add onion, avocado tomato and cucumber.
- Add oil, lemon juice and seasoning.
We loved this salad! I used a mix of dandelion and arugula and a mix of flax seed and olive oil. The addition of dill was very nice, I used fresh one because that's what I had. Thanks for sharing :)
Made for Greens For Spring / Diabetes Forum