Serve these wild mushrooms sauteed with garlic, shallots, and fresh herbs as an appetizer, or over pasta or grilled steak.
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 shallots, peeled and cut into thin wedges
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1⁄4 lbs mushrooms (such as maitake, oyster, white button, or shiitake broken into clusters or sliced, about 8 cups)
- 1⁄4 cup snipped fresh mixed herbs (such as tarragon, rosemary, basil, oregano, and or parsley)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coarse salt or 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- In a large skillet cook garlic and shallots in hot oil over medium-high heat for 2 minutes.
- Add maitake mushrooms.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 12 minutes or until tender.
- If using oyster or button mushrooms, add them during the last 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add shiitakes during last 4 minutes.
- Stir in herbs, salt, and pepper.
- Serve while hot.
- Makes 6-8 side servings.