1/1 Photo of Dances in Garden's Chicken Casserole
Think of the chicken and stuffing casserole that is made with pre-cooked cubed chicken, cream of soup, and a box of stove top stuffing. Don't MAKE it, just think of it. Now forget about the shortcut and spend all day making a dish that may not be quick nor easy but it is way worth it. This dish travels well and is great for holiday dinners, pot lucks, church socials, or bringing to families in need of some home cooked food. We fight over the leftovers - when there are any.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Split cleaned chicken at the backbone and flatten. You need to press down on the breastbone, and it might even crack.
- 2Season the chicken all over with salt and pepper.
- 3Place on a rack in baking dish.
- 4Add 1 cup of water to bottom of pan.
- 5Roast at 400 degrees for 1 hour or until the breast meat tests done with an instant read thermometer (about 170 degrees F).
- 6Pull white meat from bones and set aside.
- 7Break apart the rest of the carcass into pieces and place in a large saucepot (this includes the dark meat pieces).
- 8Add water to almost cover (about eight cups) and the drippings from roasting the chicken.
- 9Bring to a boil. Continue to boil the chicken for at least 1 hour to make a flavourful stock.
- 10Strain stock, reserving liquid. You should have about six cups.
- 11Remove the dark meat from the bones and add it to the reserved white meat.
- 12Skim the fat from the reserved stock and place the fat in a small saucepan. You want about a tablespoon or two of fat.
- 13Heat to medium, then whisk in the flour.
- 14Add about 3 cups of stock to the roux in the pan, whisking constantly.
- 15Bring to a boil, and let bubble until thickened.
- 16This is your gravy. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 17Melt butter in a non-stick skillet. Add onion and celery and saute until onion is translucent.
- 18Add poultry seasoning, salt and pepper to taste.
- 19Place bread cubes in a large bowl. Fold in the butter mixture with a rubber spatula, continuously stirring to coat the cubes as well as you can.
- 20Fold in about 2 cups of reserved stock until moist. Some of the cubes will have hard centers, that is okay. Let sit and check again in 10 minutes. Add more stock if there are still hard pieces.
- 21Arrange chicken pieces in a casserole dish.
- 22Pour gravy over top.
- 23Crumble stuffing mixture over the gravy.
- 24Cover tightly in foil.
- 25Bake at 375 degrees F until bubbly (about 30 minutes). Remove foil and bake an additional 10-15 minutes to brown the stuffing.
- 26To make ahead, cover well and refridgerate up to 24 hours. Take out and let sit one hour at room temperature before baking as above.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dances in Garden's Chicken Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (537 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 897.2
- Calories from Fat 306
- Total Fat 34.1 g
- Saturated Fat 12.3 g
- Cholesterol 127.3 mg
- Sodium 1064.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 100.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 45.8 g