Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
My friend Courtney gave me this recipe - it's great with chicken enchiladas. Her in-laws used to own a Mexican restaurant and this was their recipe for rice. Delicious!
- 4 cups long-grain white rice
- 4 tablespoons Crisco
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups yellow onions, diced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄4 tablespoons salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- In a stock pot, melt Crisco. Brown 4 cups rice stirring with wooden spoon.
- Add diced tomatoes & diced onions (will sizzle.) Stir on high heat for three minutes.
- Add water mixture and boil for one minute. Turn heat to low and cover pot with a damp dishcloth. Place lid over dishcloth. Cook on low for 38-40 minutes.
Made this as written only cutting it in half....We still had a lot of rice for all of us! I did add a little more tomato sauce but other followed the instructions. Served with your Sassy Red Salsa#426147, Valerie's Mexican Lasagna#363152 and a green salad. A wonderful dinner...Thank you. Made for Spring PAC 2013.
This is really close to what my local Mexican restaurant makes. It was good and had good flavor, but we felt it was just a tad bit too dry. But I'll definitely make it again and maybe add a couple of tablespoons of tomato sauce to add a little more moisture. Thanks Janie Marie for sharing. Made for Bargain Basement Tag.