Recipe by Janie Marie
My friend Courtney gave me this recipe - it's great with chicken enchiladas. Her in-laws used to own a Mexican restaurant and this was their recipe for rice. Delicious!
Top Review by mama smurf
Made this as written only cutting it in half....We still had a lot of rice for all of us! I did add a little more tomato sauce but other followed the instructions. Served with your recipe#426147#426147, recipe#363152#363152 and a green salad. A wonderful dinner...Thank you. Made for Spring PAC 2013.
- 4 cups long-grain white rice
- 4 tablespoons Crisco
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups yellow onions, diced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄4 tablespoons salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
Directions See How It's Made
- In a stock pot, melt Crisco. Brown 4 cups rice stirring with wooden spoon.
- Add diced tomatoes & diced onions (will sizzle.) Stir on high heat for three minutes.
- Add water mixture and boil for one minute. Turn heat to low and cover pot with a damp dishcloth. Place lid over dishcloth. Cook on low for 38-40 minutes.