1/3 Photos of Dan Dan Mein by Sy
Dandanmian (Sichuan Peddler’s Noodles) is a traditional, spicy noodle dish and popular at outdoor street vendors… and originated in the providence of Sichuan. It is made with a soy sauce paste, preserved vegetables, dried shrimp, chili pepper oil and sesame seeds. For my version I use small fresh shrimp (instead of dried shrimp), pistachio nuts/peanuts, scallions… and you can serve a bowl of broth on the side as well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup small shrimp (fully cooked)
- 1/4 cup preserved vegetables (small package) (optional)
- 3 tablespoons dry roasted pistachio nuts (after removing the shells) or 3 tablespoons dry roasted peanuts (after removing the shells)
- 2 scallions (cleaned and chopped)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 4 cups chicken stock (optional)
- 16 ounces yellow noodles (4 servings fully cooked or other noodles)
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon red rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sesame paste (Tahini paste)
- 1/8 teaspoon chili oil (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/4 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2Rinse the chili and spices off the preserved vegetables, cut into small pieces, put in a cup and into a microwave for 30-45 seconds, set aside.
- 3Toast the sesame seeds in a pan with a little oil, set aside.
- 4DAN DAN MEIN SAUCE.
- 5In a bowl add the dark and light soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame paste, chili oil (optional), sesame oil, granulated sugar, sesame seeds, use a whisk for a smooth sauce, set aside.
- 6Bring 1 cup of chicken stock to a low simmer, optional add 4 more cups of chicken stock if you are going to serve Dan Dan Mein with a bowl of hot broth.
- 7In a separate pot add 1 cup of the heated stock and 2 cup of water, bring to a boil, add the already cooked noodles and let cook for about 1-2 minutes, then remove the noodles to a colander and run under cold water to stop the cooking, set aside.
- 9Place the cooled noodles in 4 individual bowls.
- 10Add in the center, some of the chopped scallions and pistachio/peanut nuts.
- 11Add the Dan Dan Mein Sauce around the inside perimeter of the bowls.
- 12Add some of the preserved vegetables and shrimp around the inside perimeter of the bowls as well.
- 13Serve with a bowl of hot broth on the side (optional).
- 14Guests can toss the noodles and ingredients in their individual bowl and enjoy!
- 15NOTE: A second version, is to put the noodles in a bowl and add hot broth, Dan Dan Mein soy sauce paste, ground pork (instead of shrimp) and other spices for a more soupy dish. A good substitute for the Dan Dan Mein soy sauce paste, is to use a jar of Sichuan Spicy Noodle Sauce which can be found in Asian food stores.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dan Dan Mein by Sy
Serving Size: 1 (455 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 607.7
- Calories from Fat 177
- Total Fat 19.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 97.5 mg
- Sodium 865.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 87.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 20.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: