Recipe by Nyteglori
These are dumplings for potjiekos (or stews). Time does not include two hour rise times. For most potjie dishes you can start this when you start the stew and it will be ready by the time the stew is almost done.
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups lukewarm water
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift the dry ingredients together into a deep bowl. Add the egg and lukewarm water and mix well for about 5 minutes, till it forms a very soft , sticky dough, rather approaching a thick batter. Alternatively you can whip it up using a food processor.
- Let dough rise for 2 hours covered. Scoop the frothy, soft dough onto the stew and quickly stroke it to spread evenly on top.
- Shut the lid and do not lift till ready, about 30 minutes, or else it may implode into a chewy mess. Then insert a skewer into the dumpling, if it comes out clean it is cooked.