Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This reminds me of what I grew up eating
- 1 lb flour (regular or whole wheat)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup milk or 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 lb yellow split peas
- 1 teaspoon turmeric or 1 teaspoon curry
- 3 cups water
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon whole cumin seeds or 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 piece hot pepper (optional)
- Blend together flour, salt, baking powder, sugar, milk and water.
- Knead into dough until soft and elastic.
- Form into balls, rub with oil and let rest.
- Boil split peas in water with turmeric, salt and garlic until half cooked, about 30 minutes.
- Dry cumin and grind with peas and pepper.
- Stuff moderate amount into ball and roll out to 1/4 inch thick.
- Place dough on hot greased baking stove.
- Dab with oil, using a stick with piece of cloth at end or paper.
- Turn constantly until cooked, brown and puffy.