Recipe by LikesItHot
A traditional slow cooked beef roast from the sunny southern Dalmatian coast in Croatia, marinated in wine and herbs and cooked in a mouth watering plum sauce!
- 1 kg beef, top round
- 750 ml red wine (1 standard size 750 ml/25oz bottle)
- 1 cup prosek dessert wine
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato paste
- 80 g dried plums or 80 g prunes, without pits
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 -4 cloves
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons of cut rosemary
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced into thin sticks
- 3 onions, sliced
- 3 -4 large carrots
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot or crock pot/slow cooker, marinate the beef, in one piece, overnight (or up to two days, depending on your tastes!) in 1 bottle of red wine. Add onions and rosemary.
- Remove the beef, and every inch cut a small hole and insert one or two of the garlic "sticks", around the whole piece of beef. Save the marinade and put on the stove on medium heat. This will now be made into your sauce.
- Brown the beef on all sides in a pan with your olive oil, on medium-high heat.
- While browning the beef add the can of tomato paste to the marinade and mix well. As the marinade starts to boil, return the beef to the sauce and add the carrots. Boil for 15 minutes, stirring often.
- Lower the heat to a simmer and add the remaining ingredients. Slow cook until the meat softens, about 3 hours. Stir occaisionally and add water as needed or if needed, to keep the meat covered and moist.
- When the meat is very tender and the sauce has thickened, your pasticada is ready! Serve in slices, topped with the sauce, with gnocchi or mashed potatoes. Enjoy!