1/2 Photos of Dalmatian Pot Roast "pasticada"
A traditional slow cooked beef roast from the sunny southern Dalmatian coast in Croatia, marinated in wine and herbs and cooked in a mouth watering plum sauce!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 kg beef, top round
- 750 ml red wine (1 standard size 750 ml/25oz bottle)
- 1 cup prosek dessert wine
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato paste
- 80 g dried plums or 80 g prunes, without pits
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 -4 cloves
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons of cut rosemary
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced into thin sticks
- 3 onions, sliced
- 3 -4 large carrots
- 1In a large pot or crock pot/slow cooker, marinate the beef, in one piece, overnight (or up to two days, depending on your tastes!) in 1 bottle of red wine. Add onions and rosemary.
- 2Remove the beef, and every inch cut a small hole and insert one or two of the garlic "sticks", around the whole piece of beef. Save the marinade and put on the stove on medium heat. This will now be made into your sauce.
- 3Brown the beef on all sides in a pan with your olive oil, on medium-high heat.
- 4While browning the beef add the can of tomato paste to the marinade and mix well. As the marinade starts to boil, return the beef to the sauce and add the carrots. Boil for 15 minutes, stirring often.
- 5Lower the heat to a simmer and add the remaining ingredients. Slow cook until the meat softens, about 3 hours. Stir occaisionally and add water as needed or if needed, to keep the meat covered and moist.
- 6When the meat is very tender and the sauce has thickened, your pasticada is ready! Serve in slices, topped with the sauce, with gnocchi or mashed potatoes. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dalmatian Pot Roast "pasticada"
Serving Size: 1 (287 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1053.5
- Calories from Fat 830
- Total Fat 92.3 g
- Saturated Fat 37.3 g
- Cholesterol 123.7 mg
- Sodium 284.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 11.2 g
- Protein 12.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: