Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
A clear fresh broth that is excellent for all seasons. This is a traditional Dalmatian table staple and common through out Croatia.
- 1 liter water
- 400 g white fish (bream etc)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes (Podravka brand if possible) or 2 teaspoons Vegeta (Podravka brand if possible)
- 50 g rice
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 4 medium sized bay leaves
- In cold water, place the cleaned fish cut into chunks, add oil, tomato sliced in half, lemon juice, bay leaves and peppercorns. When the soup boils, add the vegetable stock cubes and cook for about 20 minutes.
- At the same time cook 1/2 cup of your prefered white rice. Once done strain and set aside.
- Remove cooked fish out of the soup then strain the soup. Clean the fish of bones and place pieces of fish back into the soup add olive oil and stir before serving.
- You can add the rice directly to the soup or place the rice in the bowl and add the soup over the top. I suggest the later because the soup alone you can freeze or refrigerate but the rice does not keep consistency and does sour.
- You can use frozen fish fillets too but fresh fish is best.