1/1 Photo of Dallaspulla - Awesome Finnish Pastry
1 hr 43 mins
1 hr 30 mins
I discovered these pastries as an exchange student in Finland and they are my absolute favorite in the whole wide world (my boyfriend's too). I have been searching high and low for a recipe and finally I found this one on Axis of Aevil so I thought I'd share. Can't wait to try it!! There's the traditional Finnish filling as well as an American alternative since quark is pretty hard to find in the States. NOTE: The vanilla cream flour can be replaced by mixing together 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar and 1/4 cup potato or wheat flour
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/8 cup softened butter
- 1/4 ounce dry yeast (1 packet)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups wheat flour
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup Quark (a.k.a. maitorahkaa)
- 1/4 cup vanilla cream flour
Alternative American Filling
- 8 ounces cream cheese (1 package)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon orange zest or 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1Prepare filling by mixing ingredients into a smooth paste. Refrigerate until needed.
- 2In a saucepan over low heat, warm the milk and butter to about 40C/104°F.
- 3In a bowl, crumble the yeast into the warm milk and butter mixture. Add sugar, salt and egg. Mix together well until the yeast is dissolved.
- 4Add flour gradually until the dough forms a ball. Add more flour only if it's still sticky and add only a little at a time.
- 5Knead dough for about 5 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- 6Place a towel over the bowl and let the dough double in a warm, draft-free place for about 30 minutes to 1 hour [warming the oven to ~40C/100F works very well as a proofing box].
- 7Turn dough out onto lightly floured work surface. Gently shape dough into rough rectangle with long side nearest you. Lightly flour dough and roll into a 16-inch x 12-inch (40cm x 30cm) rectangle.
- 8Spread filling on the dough leaving a 1cm/.5in border on the far edge.
- 9Beginning with long edge nearest you, roll dough into taut cylinder.
- 10Firmly pinch seam to seal and roll cylinder seam-side down.
- 11Very gently stretch and roll to cylinder of even diameter and 18-inch/45cm length; push ends in to create even thickness.
- 12Using a sharp serrated knife and gentle sawing motion, slice cylinder in half, then slice each half in half again to create evenly sized quarters. Slice 3,8cm/1.5in pieces from the rolls and place into a rectangular pan using a spatula.
- 13Cover with a towel and allow to rise for about 30 minutes while the oven warms to baking temperature.
- 14Make icing.
- 15Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200-225C/390-435F for about 13-15 minutes.
- 16Cut pulla apart and drizzle icing over the tops.
- 17Try not to eat them all in one sitting. :).
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dallaspulla - Awesome Finnish Pastry
Serving Size: 1 (136 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 433.7
- Calories from Fat 171
- Total Fat 19.0 g
- Saturated Fat 11.1 g
- Cholesterol 101.1 mg
- Sodium 249.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 20.9 g
- Protein 10.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: