Prep 1 hr 10 mins
Cook 15 hrs
This is a friends best.
- 6 -8 lbs pork butt or 6 -8 lbs pork shoulder
- 1⁄4 cup ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup paprika
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- Coat pork with molasses and let stand at room temperature for one hour.
- While waiting, mix all dry ingredients in medium bowl.
- After the hour, coat the pork with the dry rub.
- Smoke in wood smoker for 8-12 hours at 250.
- After this wrap in foil and cook in oven at 300 until cooked to taste, Meat should fall off the bone.
This was good, but I have had better. I make pulled pork at least once a month as it's a favorite and very versitile for my husband and I. This is the first time I've made it that it's come out black on the outside, very crusty and burnt tasting (on the outside). I'm guessing it was the molasses, I've never rubbed a pork butt down with molasses before, so I'm guessing that might be it. I threw it in the oven at 8am, it was smelling great, I checked it around noon and noticed it was very dark- darker than normal. Once you got past the outside it was very tender and good, but I was hopeing to get that sweet spicy bite from the rub and the molasses. We are going to use some in Pork Fried Rice tomorrow, I think it'll be ok as long as I cut the outside part off.