Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Weight Watchers Take-out Tonight! 5 ww points
Make and share this Dal With Spiced Tomatoes and Potatoes recipe from Food.com.
- 1 medium baking potato
- 1⁄4 cup red lentil, picked over, rinsed, and drained
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped (wear gloves to prevent iritation)
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 lb plum tomato, chopped
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- Bring large saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add potatoes, return to a boil, and cook until fork-tender, 7 minutes; remove with slotted spoon and set aside, reserving the cooking liquid.
- Add lentils to the same saucepan and return cooking liquid to a boil. Cook until lentils are tender but still hold their shape, 8 - 10 minutes; drain and set aside.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Swirl in the oil, then add the onion, jelapeno, garam masala, and cumin. Cook until onion begins to soften, 3 - 4 minutes. Stir in the potatoes, tomatoes, chickpeas, ginger, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes soften and potatoes are tender, 4 - 5 minutes. Stir in lentils and cook until heated through, 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in cilantro.
This was a good recipe that I added in some coriander powder, salt and finished off with a good squeeze of lemon to give it a lift.
Overall, I liked this recipe. It was easy and quick to make, making it great for a weeknight meal. Despite the fact that it had so many spices and yummy things in it, it was a bit bland for our taste. I added extra garlic, ginger, chilis, garam masala, and tumeric to it. Served over brown rice. Will make again, but will add extra spices. Thanks for sharing!
Made this last night and overall found it very pleasant. I was surprised by the tomatoe-y-ness of it - maybe next time I'll use a little less - and I've never had daal with that much ginger in it before, but overall it was a nice meal, and I shall be eating up the leftovers for lunch :)