Prep 8 hrs
Cook 2 hrs
This dal tastes great with paranthas or butter naans
- 200 g Urad Dal
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder
- 100 g butter
- 100 ml fresh cream
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 2 teaspoons garam masala powder
- Soak the dal in 4-5 cups of water for 8-10 hours.
- Cook it in 4-5 cups of water along with salt, red chili powder, ginger paste and garlic paste. Bring it to a boil. Reduce flame and simmer for about an hour or till it is completely cooked and tender.
- Add tomato puree, butter and garam masala powder and cook on a slow flame for an hour.
- Add fresh cream, correct seasoning and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with a bread of your choice.
WOW! This was terrific! This was my first time using whole urad dal and most definitely not my last. I can see how versatile it can be. The only thing I might do different here is to remove some of the water after step three or thicken it more. Still, the flavor was just so rich and decadent that I honestly couldn't stop eating it! It's kind of exciting to have such an easy recipe be so rewarding. Thank you for posting! Made (and appreciated!) for PAC Fall 2008.