Recipe by udita
This dal tastes great with paranthas or butter naans
Top Review by Sandi (From CA)
WOW! This was terrific! This was my first time using whole urad dal and most definitely not my last. I can see how versatile it can be. The only thing I might do different here is to remove some of the water after step three or thicken it more. Still, the flavor was just so rich and decadent that I honestly couldn't stop eating it! It's kind of exciting to have such an easy recipe be so rewarding. Thank you for posting! Made (and appreciated!) for PAC Fall 2008.
- 200 g Urad Dal
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder
- 100 g butter
- 100 ml fresh cream
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 2 teaspoons garam masala powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the dal in 4-5 cups of water for 8-10 hours.
- Cook it in 4-5 cups of water along with salt, red chili powder, ginger paste and garlic paste. Bring it to a boil. Reduce flame and simmer for about an hour or till it is completely cooked and tender.
- Add tomato puree, butter and garam masala powder and cook on a slow flame for an hour.
- Add fresh cream, correct seasoning and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with a bread of your choice.