Recipe by Sana
I have had this recipe for some time now. I love this dal - it tastes soooo good. If you want to cut down on the calories, you can omit the cream - it will still taste very good.
Top Review by valfaro
I love cooking and following recipes. Often recipes are hit and miss, but this dish is fantastic! So yummy and delicious. I used 3 tablespoons of ghee and made it super HOT by adding half a habanero pepper and 1/8 t. of cayenne pepper rather than chili powder. I probably won't make it as hot the next time around and will definitely make it again. Thank you for sharing!
- 3⁄4 cup whole black lentils (whole urad)
- 2 tablespoons kidney beans
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 green chilies, slit
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- 3 cardamoms
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh tomato puree
- 3⁄4 cup cream
- 2 cups water, to boil the lentils in
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean, wash and soak the whole black lentils and kidney beans overnight. Drain and keep aside.
- Combine the lentils and beans with salt and 2 cups of water and cook till the dals are overcooked. Whisk well till the mixture is almost mashed.
- Heat the butter in a pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds crackle, add the green chillies, cinnamon, cloves, green cardamom, onions, ginger-garlic paste and sauté till the onions turn golden brown in color.
- Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder and tomato puree and cook over a medium flame till the oil separates from the tomato gravy.
- Add the dal mixture, water and salt if required and simmer for 10 t 15 minutes.
- Add the cream and mix well.
- Garnish with the cilantro and serve hot.