I have had this recipe for some time now. I love this dal - it tastes soooo good. If you want to cut down on the calories, you can omit the cream - it will still taste very good.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup whole black lentils (whole urad)
- 2 tablespoons kidney beans
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 green chilies, slit
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- 3 cardamoms
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 cups fresh tomato puree
- 3/4 cup cream
- 2 cups water, to boil the lentils in
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 1Clean, wash and soak the whole black lentils and kidney beans overnight. Drain and keep aside.
- 2Combine the lentils and beans with salt and 2 cups of water and cook till the dals are overcooked. Whisk well till the mixture is almost mashed.
- 3Heat the butter in a pan and add the cumin seeds.
- 4When the cumin seeds crackle, add the green chillies, cinnamon, cloves, green cardamom, onions, ginger-garlic paste and sauté till the onions turn golden brown in color.
- 5Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder and tomato puree and cook over a medium flame till the oil separates from the tomato gravy.
- 6Add the dal mixture, water and salt if required and simmer for 10 t 15 minutes.
- 7Add the cream and mix well.
- 8Garnish with the cilantro and serve hot.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dal Makhani (Spicy Black Lentils)
Serving Size: 1 (400 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 397.9
- Calories from Fat 210
- Total Fat 23.4 g
- Saturated Fat 14.2 g
- Cholesterol 72.6 mg
- Sodium 162.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.1 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 13.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: