Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a yummy dal, I love it. It is simple and easy to cook and simply cool! You will find this to be low cal too. Also, if you drizzle some fresh lemon juice over it right before serving, it becomes so tangy and all the more savoury. This is dry in texture unlike lentils which usually have gravy, but this is very very tasty.
- 1⁄2 cup toor dal
- 1⁄4 cup yellow moong dal
- 1⁄4 cup masoor dal
- 1 medium sized onion, grated
- 2 green chilies, sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon coriander, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 -3 small tomatoes
- Mix and wash dals well.
- Soak for 30 minutes.
- Pressure cook till soft but not overcooked (approx. 3 whistles).
- Mash the dals while hot.
- Heat oil in a pot.
- Add cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Once they stop spluttering, add onion, ginger and green chillies.
- Stir fry till soft.
- Fold in red chilli powder and turmeric powder.
- Mix well and then add the tomatoes.
- Once tomatoes get cooked, add salt followed by the dals.
- Mix well and allow to boil.
- Simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Garnish with the chopped corriander and lemon juice.
- Serve hot with roti or rice and your favourite raita on the side(cucumber and tomato raita is a nice one to enjoy this with).