Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Meena Agarwal's food blog. Just wanted to post this so I wouldn't lose it! Check out her other recipes too at www.hookedonheat.com
- 1⁄2 cup black lentils, soaked overnight (urad dal)
- 1⁄8 cup dried red kidney beans, soaked overnight
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- fresh cilantro leaves, chopped for garnish
- water, as needed
- salt, to taste
- HEAT oil in a pressure cooker and saute onions till lightly browned. Stir in salt, chilli powder, ginger-garlic paste, and tomato paste and fry for a few seconds.
- ADD in the chopped tomatoes and cook for a few minutes to combine well. Add lentils and beans, and enough water to cover them. Pressure cook for 15-20 minutes till lentils are soft and done. Stir in milk and let it come to a boil.
- IN a separate pan, make a tempering by heating butter and whole garlic cloves slit in the middle. Stir the tempering into the lentils and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- SERVE warm with soft, fluffy Naans.