Prep 5 hrs
Cook 40 mins
Its a wonderful mixture of various lentils and very tasty with hot white rice. I add a dollop of low fat yogurt instead of the fresh cream to my plate for a lower cal option!
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 green chilies, chopped
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- 3⁄4 inch ginger, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup red kidney beans (rajma)
- 1⁄4 cup black gram dal (whole urad)
- 1⁄4 cup channa dal
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons oil
- cilantro, chopped (for garnishing)
- Soak red kidney beans, black gram and chana dal in water for 4-5 hours.
- Pressure cook the above dals (lentils) once the time for soaking is over.
- Transfer the dals to a skillet.
- Simmer, on low flame, for 30 minutes, until the lentils (dals) become extremely soft.
- Heat oil in a skillet.
- Sauté the onions and ginger in it till the raw smell of ginger is gone and onions turn golden brown.
- Add tomatoes and green chillies and continue to sauté.
- Add turmeric powder and red chili powder once the onion-tomato mixture becomes soft.
- Continue to sauté.
- Pour the cooked dal over this mixture and bring to a boil.
- Add salt to taste.
- Stir well.
- Just before removing from flame, add butter and fresh cream.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with white Basmati rice!
This is an Excellent Dal but I have made some changes I did not mix Chann Dal with the kidney beans and Urad Dal (black dal) and I didn't put in butter and fresh cream because I was making for every day dinner but I would put that in maybe when I am having dinner/lunch party. Thanks Roopali
Lovely! This was very popular for dinner tonight. I did add a little garam masala and a spinkle of sugar because of my nine year olds taste preferences, and she gobbled it down. Thanks Charishma!
I ended up with a 2-pound bag of black urad -- long story -- and needed a way to use them up. This is sensationally delicious, and no more trouble than your average dal. I used whole milk plain yogurt instead of cream and butter. I still have lots of urad left, so we'll make this again.