Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A filling and flavourful side dish with an easy ingredient list...I love it. Keeps well, reheats well.
- 1 1⁄2 cups red lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 4 cups vegetable stock or 4 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion and saute until almost tender, then add garlic and ginger, stirring until fragrant.
- Add curry powder and stir for one minute.
- Add lentils and stir, then add stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to lowest setting and simmer for 20 to 45 minutes, until lentils are very soft, adding more stock if necessary. Watch carefully and stir, so it doesn't burn on the bottom. Lentils should be mushy.
- Add salt and pepper and cilantro,if using, and enjoy.
- To serve as a soup add additional stock and other cooked vegetables such as peas and carrots. Cooked chicken may also be added.
I really loved this, I used the whole recipe and followed the measurements, but added three ingredients from another recipe and I think it turned out beautifully! I added 1 cinnamon stick and a bay leaf. When it was almost finished cooking I added a squeeze of lemon.
Mmmmm too easy! I cannot wrap my brain around how easy it is to make the most delicious, healthy dinner! I ate a tester bowl and planned to take the rest to work for lunches throughout the week, but finished half the pot in one sitting...next time I'll double it ;) Thank you!
This was nice and easy to make, thanks! Next time I'll add more spices (prob some chilli and coriander powders), more garlic and ginger, and will cook it for a touch less (prob stick to 20 mins). It's a perfect meal to make on a Sunday and take to work for weekday lunches!