Recipe by Girl from India
A treat for my family!! from the Femina Cook book. I do a lot of adaptations to this recipe but this is the original recipe.
- 1 kg mutton, boneless,cut into pcs.
- 150 g mung dal
- 150 g channa dal
- 150 g masoor dal
- 50 g tamarind pulp, soaked in a little water
- 2 -3 tablespoons clarified butter
- 2 g cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 -3 big onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons ginger-garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 3 sprigs curry leaves
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 8 -10 garlic flakes
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 -3 whole dried red chilies
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the dals together till they are tender and combined.
- THis can be done in a pressure cooker too.
- (Add turmeric and a little salt before cooking them and do not add too much water just an inch above the level of the dals) Mash the dals well.
- (You can put them in a blender to get a smooth blend- I don't) Extract around 50 g paste from the tamarind pulp.
- Heat 1/2 the clarified butte and add the whole spices including the bay leaves.
- When the cloves swell add the onions and saute till golden brown then add the ginger and garlic paste, and saute.
- Add the other spice powders and stir fry.
- Add the meat pcs.
- green chillies and 2 sprigs of the curry leaves and cook till done.
- Remove the meat pcs and strain the gravy well.
- Then add the tamarind pulp to the gravy and the cooked dal.
- Put the meat pcs back into the gravy and season to taste.
- Heat the remaining ghee and temper with the cumin seeds, garlic, mustard seeds, the whole red dry chillies and the remaining curry leaves and pour this into the curry.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro leaves.
- Serve hot with plain rice or rotis.