Recipe by udita
Dal Bukhari, a black-lentil specialty of (Awadh) northwest India. Traditionally this dal was made by black urad being simmered overnight on a slow fire in a "bhatti" combined with fresh tomatoes and some spices and finished off with fresh cream and white butter.
- 1 cup Urad Dal, whole soaked over night
- 2 tablespoons ginger paste
- 2 tablespoons garlic paste
- 200 ml tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons kashmiri chili powder
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala powder (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pressure cook the dal with salt for about 15-20 minutes.
- Mash the dal well with the back of the laddle.
- Add the ginger garlic pastes, tomato puree, red chilli powder and 1/2 the butter and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Add cream and cook for another 10 minutes.
- The texture of this dal is creamy.
- Finish off with the garam masala if you like.
- Serve piping hot with any of the many Indian breads.
- The original recipe does not contain garam masala in it. Sometimes I add the same for a variation and it tastes great!