1/2 Photos of Dal - As we like it!!
1 hr 15 mins
Girl from India's Note:
This is my trademark Dal recipe I am posting for a friend!!! The ingredients are really approximatations as I am a very instinctive cook. I add/ subtract/ vary quantities of ingredients all the time for the dal to turn out just a little different each time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup split red gram, washed and soaked in 3 cups water for an hour
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 big tomato, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 inch gingerroot, peeled and minced
- 2 green chilies, deseeded and slit
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon oil
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pinch asafetida powder
- 2/3 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 1 chicken stock cubes or 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1/2 an onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander powder
- 3 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves (to garnish)
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1Boil the dal in the water it soaks in with the next 8 ingredients, in a vessel or pressure cooker till cooked (my pressure cooker takes 1 whistle to cook the dal) In the meanwhile keep the rest of the ingredients ready.
- 2When the dal is cooked heat a tblsp of oil in a kadai/ vessel Add the asafetida and the mustard, cumin and curry leaves in quick succession.
- 3Add the garlic as soon as the mustard splutters.
- 4Then add the onion slices and fry till light brown.
- 5Then add the stock cube and saute.
- 6When you get the aromas add the chopped tomato and then the spice powders.
- 7Add the cooked dal and stir to mix well.
- 8When heated through add the lime juice.
- 9(One tsp at a time Taste and add some more if you feel like it you can go beyond 2 tsp if your taste buds give you the go ahead) Garnish with coriander leaves (we really add a lot of these but I have only put and serve hot over rice).
- 10Try a dry meat dish as an accompaniment.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dal - As we like it!!
Serving Size: 1 (125 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 81.9
- Calories from Fat 40
- Total Fat 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.1 mg
- Sodium 443.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 1.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: