1/1 Photo of Dal and Rice With Spicy Fried Cabbage
I've been reading books by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni and giving myself Indian food cravings, so I went to the cupboard and came up with this easy, yummy dish. Warning: this is fairly spicy (but not burn-your-tongue-out spicy). If you like it less spicy, reduce the amounts of seasoning and garlic dramatically. Substitute vegetable broth for chicken broth to make it vegan.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 -8 tablespoons oil, divided (I use grapeseed oil)
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons garam masala
- 1/2 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ginger powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 3/4 lb masoor dal, cleaned and washed (red split lentils)
- 1 cup white rice
- 1/2 cup water
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1 head green cabbage, rinsed,core removed,and chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 3 tablespoons dark chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1In a saucepan over medium-high heat, saute garlic and onion in just enough oil to cover bottom of the pan scantily.
- 2When onion begins to turn clear, add garam masala, curry, turmeric, cinnamon, and cloves; saute a minute or two more, until well mixed.
- 3Add carrot, tomatoes, chicken broth, dal (lentils), rice, and water, and stir well.
- 4Reduce heat to low; cover and cook 20-30 minutes, until dal and rice are soft and liquid is absorbed.
- 5Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 6Just before serving, heat enough oil to cover bottom of pan in a wok or large frying pan until very hot.
- 7When oil is very hot, fry cumin and chili powder for a few seconds, then add cabbage and sugar, and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes, until wilted.
- 8Serve dal and rice mounded on a plate with fried cabbage on top.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dal and Rice With Spicy Fried Cabbage
Serving Size: 1 (366 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 533.8
- Calories from Fat 150
- Total Fat 16.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 339.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.3 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 21.7 g