Recipe by Shelly Morton
This recipe is from a California Pizza Kitchen cookbook and is delicious. It has NO FAT and is vegetarian...perhaps even vegan. Try it...you'll like it. The recipe calls for a large pinch of cumin, but Recipezaar wouldn't accept that description so I guessed it to be about 1/8 teaspoon.
- 1 lb dried split peas, sorted and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 2 quarts water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 -3 tablespoon salt, to your liking
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped (or 1/2 Tablespoon dried)
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, diced
- 2⁄3 cup onion, minced
- 1⁄3 cup celery, finely diced
- 1⁄4 cup scallion top, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot or saucepan, combine first 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to a bare simmer, cover, and cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the carrots, onion, and celery. Cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 20-30 minutes more. Discard bay leaves. Ladle into warmed soup bowls and garnish with the scallion greens.