Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A delicious hot sub that Mama would be proud of. Also use the meatball recipe for any Italian meal. They are tender and delicious!!!
- 4 hoagie rolls
- 6 ounces shredded lowfat mozzarella cheese
- 0.5 (26 ounce) favorite spaghetti sauce (standard can size)
- 4 teaspoons margarine
- 4 pinches garlic powder
- 4 pinches parmesan cheese
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (dry parsley can be used, 2 tsp.)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 medium onion, finely diced. (dried onion flakes, 1 T, soaked in 1 T hot water will work)
- 1⁄2 cup lowfat parmesan cheese
- Start simmering 1/2 of one large can of your favorite spaghetti sauce in a 3-4 qt pot. (You’ll need the extra room for the meatballs). In a large mixing bowl combine all of the meatball ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Wet hands and roll meatballs in about 1.5-inch diameter balls. Bake them on a baking sheet with edges at 350 deg. for 15 minutes, or fry them in cooking oil until browned on all sides, careful not to burn them. Should take about 15 minutes as well. Drain fat, and then place them in the simmering sauce, where they will finish cooking. Continue to simmer while you prepare the rest of the meal. About 15 minutes. Of course if you want to do this step earlier, and simmer the meatballs longer, that would be even better.
- Set the oven to BROIL, top rack should be about 7” from the top. Slice, lengthwise, each hoagie roll without cutting completely through. Lightly butter each half, and sprinkle just a ½ pinch of garlic powder, and a pinch of Parmesan, over each buttered side. On a baking sheet, place face open hoagie rolls in oven. Watch carefully and remove just as the bread starts to toast (just a minute or two). Leave oven on. Cut open one meatball to make sure it is done, otherwise, let simmer a bit longer. Now spoon meatballs and sauce into the center of the open hoagies, top with plenty of mozzarella cheese, then return to oven and heat until the mozzarella cheese is melted and slightly starting to brown (again, should only take a minute or two, so watch carefully). Remove from oven, and enjoy!
Needed a meatball recipe; now I have one. Used ground pork as that's what was in the freezer and made a spur-of-the-moment red sauce for pasta and it was delish! Thanks!
I used a can of Hunts traditional sauce with 2 tsp. Italian seasoning and 1 finely chopped onion and 1 can tomato paste added. I cooked it for about 1/2 hr. to cook the onions and meld the flavor of the spices with the sauce, then I added in the meatballs. I made a recipe for Recipe #235909, and used these for the sub rolls. First I put slices of Provolone cheese on the roll Then I topped with the meatballs and sauce, then sprinkled on the Parmesan and we ate till our hearts content. Delicious sandwich Dakota using your meatball recipe! Milt