Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
An amalgamation of other red pepper sauce recipes I've seen- super healthy, low-calorie, and as easy and mess-free as I could make it!
- 1 red pepper
- 1⁄2 medium carrot
- 1⁄4 onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 fresh garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium vegetable broth (or chicken broth, if you prefer)
- fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (dried is also fine)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional) or 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Grease shallow pan with vegetable oil spray.
- Cut carrot in half and peel garlic cloves.
- Place pepper (washed), halved carrot, onion, and garlic in pan.
- Roast vegetables for approximately 15 minutes, then add olive oil and return to oven.
- Roast another 15-20 minutes, or until all are tender and pepper is partially blackened.
- Remove vegetables from oven, cool.
- Core pepper and chop coarsely, chop onion and carrot coarsely.
- Place vegetables (and juice from roasting) into blender.
- Puree, adding some vegetable broth if necessary.
- Heat mixture along with all the vegetable broth, in a small pot or saucepan over medium heat.
- Add spices to taste, and parsely.
- Heat until thickened.
- Serve over pasta, with a sprig of extra parsely if you feel fancy.