Dairy Lactose Free Banana Nut Loaf Bread
- 125 g butter (Diary-Free, Nuttelex, Willow Run etc)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups wholemeal self-rising flour
- 1⁄2 cup desiccated coconut
- 2⁄3 cup banana (Very ripe, mashed)
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons desiccated coconut
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted macadamia nuts (roasted, chopped)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- Preheat the oven to moderate (180C). Grease a 14cm x 21cm x 7cm loaf tin and line the base with baking paper.
- Combine the butter, 1 cup sugar, eggs, flour, 1/2 cup coconut, banana and orange juice in a bowl and beat with electric beaters on low until well combined. Increase the speed to medium and beat for about 2 minutes more, or until the mixture is smooth and has changed colour.
- In a seperate bowl combine all the ingredients for the nut mixture.
- Spoon half the banana bread mixture into the tin.
- Sprinkle with half the nut mixture. Top with the remaining cake mixture, smooth the surface and sprinkle with the remaining nut mixture.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted in the centre.
- Tip: you may need to cover the cake loosely with foil during cooking if the top starts to brown too much.