Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
Significant alterations from Cook's Illustrated Jan/Feb '07, #84. Can substitute non-dairy margarine or other oil for coconut oil.
- 1 whole grain pie crust
- 5 slices turkey bacon
- 1 1⁄2 lbs onions
- 3 teaspoons sea salt
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 large eggs (room temperature)
- 3 1⁄2 ounces soymilk (room temperature)
- 3⁄4 tablespoon coconut oil (melted)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Cut bacon strips in half, lengthwise, then crosswise in 1/4 inch pieces.
- Cut onions in half, then 1/4 thin slices.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cook bacon in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until brown and crisp (8-10 minutes). Remove bacon from pan.
- Add olive oil to skillet. Keep at medium heat. At onions, salt and thyme to skillet. Cover and cook until onions release liquid and start to wilt (approx 10 minutes).
- Reduce heat and continue to cook covered, until onions are very soft (approx 15 minutes), stirring once or twice. Uncover. If onions look wet, let cook uncovered for 5 minutes.
- While onions are cooking, bake the pie shell for 8 to 10 minutes. Also while onions are cooking, whisk eggs, milk, coconut oil and pepper.
- When onions are done, remove the thyme. Stir onions into egg mixture until just incorporated. Poor onion mixture into pie crust. Sprinkle with bacon.
- Place pie on baking sheet. Bake until center of pie feels firm to touch (20-25 minutes). Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before serving.