Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I am allergic to all milk products and eggs. I wanted a version of hash brown casserole that I could eat and that others would enjoy also, so I created this recipe. It makes four servings because we are a small family, it would easily double to serve 8.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion (1/2 medium)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (about 6 mushrooms)
- 1 (12 1/3 ounce) box firm silken tofu (Mori-Nu)
- 1⁄2 cup soymilk (unflavored or plain)
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (optional)
- 5 cups frozen shredded hash browns, thawed
- 4 slices soy mozzarella cheese (Tofutti)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray a 11 x 7 pan with nonstick spray.
- In a frying pan over medium heat saute the onions and mushrooms in the olive oil until lightly browned.
- While vegetables are cooking, in the bowl of a food processor combine tofu, soy milk, nutritional yeast,cornstarch, baking powder,salt, pepper, Worcestershire and Tabasco, process until smooth.
- Remove the pan with the sauteed vegeatbles from the heat, stir in the hash browns and then the tofu mixture. Pour into the prpared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour or until browned. Add the soy cheese slices to the top and return to oven until soy cheese is melted.
- Cut into 4 rectangles and serve sprinkled with the fresh parsley.