Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Unbelievable! Time does not include lentil soaking time of 2-3 hours.
- 1 large eggplant, sliced 1cm thick
- 1 1⁄2 large sweet potatoes, 1cm thick
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup quinoa (raw weight)
- 1⁄2 cup green lentil (raw weight)
- 1 bunch english spinach, washed
- sea salt & pepper
Roasted tomato sauce
- 500 g ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 -2 garlic clove, crushed
- sea salt, pepper, oregano, basil
- 1 -2 bay leaf, sprig rosemary
- 1⁄2 cup filtered water
- Sprinkle eggplant with sea salt, and leave for 20-30 minutes. Rinse and dry. Pre-bake all sliced vegetables on a tray. Cook rinsed quinoa at a ratio of 1 cup seeds to 2 cups water on low heat and covered until all water is absorbed.
- Soak lentils for 2-3 hours, rinse and boil in fresh water.
- Mix quinoa and lentils with some of the tomato sauce.
- Stack in layers in baking dish, starting with sweet potato and finishing with a layer of eggplant. Bake at 160ºC for approximately 30-40 minutes, covering half way through cooking time.
- If necessary, rest before cutting into squares. Serve on spinach leaves with extra tomato sauce and top with a dollop of cashew cheese or pesto.
- For the tomato sauce: roast tomatoes, onions and garlic in oven until they get some colour. Add spices, herbs and water. Simmer for 15-20 minutes and blend in food processor. Adjust seasoning to taste.