Prep 4 mins
Cook 20 mins
Surprisingly very good and very easy! It takes just minutes to whip up in the pan. It also takes minutes to disappear!
- 1 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar (or packed brown sugar)
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil (not olive)
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla (or coffee powder)
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Mix flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt with fork in an ungreased square pan. (Add the coffee powder here if you've opted for that flavor.).
- Mix in remaining ingredients. Bake 20-25 minutes (but I don't mind it if it's still a bit moist in the middle).
- Either top with powdered sugar for a snacking cake or melt bittersweet chocolate with a bit of honey to make a fancy glaze.
My kids are gluten free in addition to vegan. I used Bob's Red Mill all purpose baking flour and xanthan gum as suggested with the flour. I make this cake for all my kids birthdays now.
I baked my cake for 30 min and the edges were burned and the middle was still way under done. Was totally disappointed with this cake!!!!!
This was a very good cake... i doubled it and it was totally great. It was a bit spongie and I had a lot of compliaments from my guests and they had doubles and scraped the plate!! I thought it was like the Cadbury cake... I am a celiac and used different flour so this may have been the reason mine was so yummy and moistured. 100 out of a 100. You have got to try it. Amazing that you dont have to use eggs or milk since I had no eggs and dessert to make!