Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
From "Living the G. I. Diet". Pureed white beans give it the creaminess and add extra fiber.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme (or 1 tsp. dried)
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 5 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth, low-fat, low-sodium)
- 1 (19 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (10 ounce) bag Baby Spinach, trimmed
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- Heat oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, carrot, garlic, and thyme and cook until the onion has softened, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, cook for 2 minutes. Add broth and beans and bring to boil. Reduce the heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, finely shred the spinach, then set it aside.
- Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender until smooth, then return it to the pot. Bring to a gentle boil and add the spinach, salt, and pepper, adjusting the seasoning to taste. Cook, stirring, until the spinach is tender, wilted, and bright green, about 5 minutes.