Recipe by TheCookinMom
I have young children with food allergies to milk, eggs, and chocolate who wanted mint chocolate chip ice cream. I credit a recipe posted by LonghornMama from Cooking Light magazine for ice cream using tofu. I altered it quite a bit, playing around with the flavors, and I turned it into an allergy free treat. Thanks to LonghornMama for the start to this recipe!
Top Review by mliss29
Wow! It's a good thing my little ice cream maker would only hold half a batch, because I ate the whole thing! Since I now have half a package of tofu, I'm going to try this with strawberries-Ooh! or maybe bananas!-tomorrow. Maybe both! Thanks for the yummy treat and for giving me a reason to go through the stuff-left-in-the-basement-after-the-move and find the ice cream maker! Reviewed for Healthy Choices ABC tag.
- 1 (12 1/3 ounce) packagemori-nu firm silken tofu (this company supports use of their product in uncooked recipes)
- 1 cup soymilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon alcohol free peppermint extract (we got ours from the local health foods store)
- 3 -4 drops green food coloring (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups thawed whipped topping (Hip Whip is a vegan alternative if you want to go milk protein free)
- 1⁄4 cup vegan carob chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine tofu, soy milk, vanilla, salt, sugar, peppermint flavoring, and food coloring in the blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Fold in the thawed whipped topping.
- Pour into the ice cream maker (we use the Rival brand with the freezer canister, so there's no ice or salt mess to deal with).
- Freeze according to ice cream maker directions (with our Rival brand we freeze for at least 30 minutes).
- Add carob chips during the last 5 minutes.
- Spoon into an airtight container and put into the refrigerator freezer for an additional hour to finish firming up.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Variations for other flavors:.
- Omit the peppermint flavoring and carob chips and use the following instead: Add approximately 1/4 cup strawberry ice cream topping to the blended mixture, and then add fresh strawberries (amount determined by your preference) at the end. OR, Cookies and cream variation: Add crushed iced oatmeal cookies (check package for the ones that are dairy and egg free) to the final stage of the freezing process.