1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 40 mins
I have young children with food allergies to milk, eggs, and chocolate who wanted mint chocolate chip ice cream. I credit a recipe posted by LonghornMama from Cooking Light magazine for ice cream using tofu. I altered it quite a bit, playing around with the flavors, and I turned it into an allergy free treat. Thanks to LonghornMama for the start to this recipe!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (12 1/3 ounce) package mori-nu firm silken tofu (this company supports use of their product in uncooked recipes)
- 1 cup soymilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon alcohol free peppermint extract (we got ours from the local health foods store)
- 3 -4 drops green food coloring (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups thawed whipped topping (Hip Whip is a vegan alternative if you want to go milk protein free)
- 1/4 cup vegan carob chips
- 1Combine tofu, soy milk, vanilla, salt, sugar, peppermint flavoring, and food coloring in the blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- 2Fold in the thawed whipped topping.
- 3Pour into the ice cream maker (we use the Rival brand with the freezer canister, so there's no ice or salt mess to deal with).
- 4Freeze according to ice cream maker directions (with our Rival brand we freeze for at least 30 minutes).
- 5Add carob chips during the last 5 minutes.
- 6Spoon into an airtight container and put into the refrigerator freezer for an additional hour to finish firming up.
- 7Serve and enjoy!
- 8Variations for other flavors:.
- 9Omit the peppermint flavoring and carob chips and use the following instead: Add approximately 1/4 cup strawberry ice cream topping to the blended mixture, and then add fresh strawberries (amount determined by your preference) at the end. OR, Cookies and cream variation: Add crushed iced oatmeal cookies (check package for the ones that are dairy and egg free) to the final stage of the freezing process.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dairy and Egg Free Mint and Carob Chip "ice Cream"
Serving Size: 1 (99 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 122.9
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 8.5 mg
- Sodium 119.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 14.2 g
- Protein 4.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: