Prep 30 mins
Cook 23 mins
Something different for breakfast.
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1⁄2 cup yogurt (regular, low-fat, or nonfat)
- 1⁄3 cup white rum (do not use dark rum) or 1⁄3 cup golden rum (do not use dark rum)
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lime zest
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt until well blended; set aside.
- In another bowl, lightly whisk the eggs; then whisk in the melted butter, yogurt, rum, lime juice, and lime zest until smooth.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in the flour mixture until moistened.
- Spoon batter into well greased muffin cups to 3/4 full.
- Dust the tops of the unbaked muffins with the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar--should be just a light coating of sugar.
- Bake in a 400° oven for 23 minutes or until muffins have rounded, lightly browned, cracked tops and pick comes out with a few moist crumbs attached.
- Place pan on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes.
- Gently rock each muffin back and forth to release it.
- Remove muffins from the pan and cool for 5 minutes on wire rack.
- To store--cool completely and seal in airtight container or in freezer-safe plastic bags.
- Cosmopolitan Muffins: substitute vodka for the rum; reduce the lime juice to 1/4 cup; add 1 1/2 tablespoon frozen cranberry juice concentrate, thawed, with the remaining lime juice.
- Apple Daiquiri Muffins: substitute spiced rum for the white or gold rum; add 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon with the salt; stir 3/4 cup chopped dried apple into the batter just before adding the dry ingredients.