Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
The Frugal Gourmet On Our Immigrant Ancestors – Jeff Smith – Copyright 1990
- 3 lbs daikon radishes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 5 tablespoons korean red pepper flakes
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons pickling salt
- 7 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 cup chives, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon pickling salt
- In a large stainless steel bowl, combine the cut radish and the red pepper flakes.
- Allow to sit for 30 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except the last ½ tablespoon of salt.
- Place in a crock or stainless steel bowl, sprinkle with the remaining salt, then cover with a plate along with a weight of a few pounds, such as a pot.
- Cover with plastic wrap and leave on the counter for 2 days, then refrigerate.