Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
My husband's favorite muffins. I got the recipe off the internet about a year ago. I added rosewater, it gives the muffins a nice flavor. These freeze very well.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray the muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar and shortening.
- Add eggs, mix well.
- In another bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a small bowl, combine milk, vanilla, and rosewater, if using.
- Add 1/3 the flour to the shortening mixture and mix until well combined, then add 1/3 the milk mixture and mix again.
- Repeat twice.
- Finally, add the blueberries.
- Pour into muffin tins.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
I used butter, not shortening, to make these, and replaced half the flour with whole wheat. They were lovely, although a little soft and crumbly. I got 24 medium sized muffins from this recipe, and they were baked in 25 minutes. I made half without and half with rosewater. Both were very good, although I think I prefer them without. Blueberries have a tendancy to sink to the bottom of baked goods. To avoid this, save out one third of them, and gently spoon them over the batter once it is in the pans. They will still sink but they won't make it down quite so far.