I love anything with coconut milk in it! This looks yummy, when I try it, I will use light coconut milk though. Serve with naan bread for dipping.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 1⁄4 lbs canned chopped tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup red lentil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 1⁄4 cups coconut milk
- salt and pepper
- cilantro, chopped, to garnish
- Cook onion and garlic in butter for 2-3 minutes. Add all spices and cook for 30 more seconds.
- Stir in tomatoes, red lentils, lemon juice, stock and coconut milk. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until lentils are tender and cooked.
- Season to taste, garnish with cilantro.
Fantastic soup! I used regular brown lentils, but otherwise made this as written. It was perfectly seasoned and spiced. The texture was just right, too. Thanx for sharing this easy and delicious soup recipe!
Great and easy. I used a different Indian bean, not lentils, and it was good. Next time I'll try urad dal. I used light coconut milk. Thanks, Jan