Recipe by Wendy's Kitchen
An authentic Malaysian recipe. For a vegetarian Dahl leave out the chicken.
- 300 g roasting chickens, cut into small pieces
- 175 g dal, washed and soaked
- 3 green chilies
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups water
- 2 dried chilies, pounded
- 1 1⁄2 cm piece gingerroot, finely diced
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 curry leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3 tomatoes, quartered
- 2 potatoes, quartered
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup tamarind juice
- 1⁄2 cup coconut cream
- 1 pinch asafoetida powder (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil dhall with (A) till soft and cooked.
- Heat a deep saucepan with oil. Saute chicken pieces until they are brown. Remove from saucepan.
- Saute (B). add more if necessary, until fragrant.
- Add in potatoes and the sauted chicken, mix in one cup coconut milk and bring to a boil.
- Add in the cooked dhall and the rest of the coconut milk and tamarind juice.
- Simmer till potatoes and chicken are soft.
- Add the tomatoes and the coconut cream. Bring to a boil and cook till gravy is thick.
- Add salt and a pinch of Asafoetida powder(if using) for better fragrance and taste.