Recipe by Ma Field
Half of the filling for ZWT4 Italian Frozen Dessert Challenge. The avocado is sweet here, not savory. The "good" fat from the avocado makes this a heart-healthy choice. The lemon juice and vitamin C tablet will help the avocado keep it's pale green color.
- 2 cups milk, divided
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 avocados, ripe yet still firm
- 1 vitamin, c tablet crushed
Directions See How It's Made
- Make the custard. Mix 1 3/4 cups milk with 1/2 cup sugar and lemon juice. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- In a separate bowl, mix the remaining 1/4 cup milk with the cornstarch, stirring very well to blend completely. Stir cornstarch mixture into milk, returning to a boil while stirring constantly.
- Boil one minute. Remove from heat and place into a metal bowl to chill. Place metal bowl into a larger bowl filled with ice to speed up the cooling process. Be sure to stir the custard while it is cooling to prevent lumps.
- Peel, seed and puree avocados with the crushed vitamin C and remaining 1/4 cup sugar. When well blended gently stir in the custard and mix well.
- Place in freezer compartment of an ice cream maker. Follow your manufacturer's instructions for freezing.
- Once frozen, place in an airtight container and harden for at least one hour before serving.