Recipe by RonaNZ
Submitted for the Zaar World Tour 4, Frozen Italian Dessert Challenge by The Daffy Daffodils. Our team made a very patriotic Italian dessert, a semifreddo wrapped in sponge emblazoned with the colours of the Italian flag. This dessert could be made with purchased gelato but we felt that as we are the Daffy Daffodils (our charity being The American Cancer Society) we are very concerned about healthy eating - and we're a bit daffy too - so a gelato made with carrot juice, strawberries and avocado would be our choice! See Ma Field's recipes for Daffy Strawberry/Carrot Gelato and Daffy Avocado Gelato.
- 1 cup icing sugar
- food coloring
- 3 eggs
- 90 g caster sugar
- 90 g flour
- 30 g caster sugar
- 30 g butter, melted
- 3 cups lemon gelato (purchased or our team would have chosen to make one with carrot juice, strawberries and avocado!)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the icing sugar with just enough water to make a runny icing.
- Put a quarter of the icing into a small bowl and color it red, another quarter into another bowl and colour green and leave the rest white.
- Spread the icing thinly on to baking paper in strips going red, white, green, white etc. and leave until almost set. (This is to represent the Italian flag but red and green next to each other goes a horrible colour so separate them with a white strip).
- Drag a fork through the strips to make wavy lines in the icing. Leave until the icing is dry.
- To make the sponge:.
- Preheat the oven to 250C (hot oven).
- Separate out two eggs.
- Whisk the egg yolks with the whole egg and 90g of sugar until pale.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff and add the other 30g of sugar.
- Fold the flour, egg whites and melted butter into the egg yolk mixture.
- Spread on top of the icing and bake for 5 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- Turn out on to a cake rack to cool and carefully remove the baking paper. The icing will now be on the top of the sponge.
- Cut strips of sponge to line four rings (use cookie cutters if you don't have those cheffy ring things). Press into the rings with the icing side facing out.
- Fill the centre with gelato, pressing the gelato firmly into the space to fill it.
- Freeze to harden the gelato.
- Remove from the ring and present the bottom (flat) side as the top of the dessert.
- Dress up with any decorations you desire.