2 hrs 5 mins
Submitted for the Zaar World Tour 4, Frozen Italian Dessert Challenge by The Daffy Daffodils. Our team made a very patriotic Italian dessert, a semifreddo wrapped in sponge emblazoned with the colours of the Italian flag. This dessert could be made with purchased gelato but we felt that as we are the Daffy Daffodils (our charity being The American Cancer Society) we are very concerned about healthy eating - and we're a bit daffy too - so a gelato made with carrot juice, strawberries and avocado would be our choice! See Ma Field's recipes for Daffy Strawberry/Carrot Gelato and Daffy Avocado Gelato.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix the icing sugar with just enough water to make a runny icing.
- 2Put a quarter of the icing into a small bowl and color it red, another quarter into another bowl and colour green and leave the rest white.
- 3Spread the icing thinly on to baking paper in strips going red, white, green, white etc. and leave until almost set. (This is to represent the Italian flag but red and green next to each other goes a horrible colour so separate them with a white strip).
- 4Drag a fork through the strips to make wavy lines in the icing. Leave until the icing is dry.
- 5To make the sponge:.
- 6Preheat the oven to 250C (hot oven).
- 7Separate out two eggs.
- 8Whisk the egg yolks with the whole egg and 90g of sugar until pale.
- 9Whisk the egg whites until stiff and add the other 30g of sugar.
- 10Fold the flour, egg whites and melted butter into the egg yolk mixture.
- 11Spread on top of the icing and bake for 5 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- 12Turn out on to a cake rack to cool and carefully remove the baking paper. The icing will now be on the top of the sponge.
- 13Cut strips of sponge to line four rings (use cookie cutters if you don't have those cheffy ring things). Press into the rings with the icing side facing out.
- 14Fill the centre with gelato, pressing the gelato firmly into the space to fill it.
- 15Freeze to harden the gelato.
- 16Remove from the ring and present the bottom (flat) side as the top of the dessert.
- 17Dress up with any decorations you desire.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Daffies Budino Di Gelato
Serving Size: 1 (127 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 423.2
- Calories from Fat 90
- Total Fat 10.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 174.6 mg
- Sodium 96.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 77.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 59.7 g
- Protein 7.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: