Recipe by MelMay
This is my Dad's awesome chili recipe. He got a deer this year so I actually got to make it tonight with some ground venison he had given us. This one puts together quick, with just an onion and a pepper to dice, then waiting and enjoying that great smell. Deeeeee-licious!
Top Review by JanuaryBride
Fantastic! I used a green pepper instead of the yellow due to cost and used beer in place of the water. It was perfect. Thank you. Made for Sept 2008 Cooking Challenge: Beyond Burgers. . .Ground Meat!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground venison
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 32 ounces anasazi beans
- 28 ounces tomato puree
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes (chili style)
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf, broken in half
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne (or more, to taste)
- 4 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 dash cinnamon
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the venison in a stock pot (I use non-stick).
- Add onion and pepper, saute until slightly soft, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, cover, and simmer for 1.5 hours.
- I serve mine with a little sour cream and diced onion on top, and some crusty bread.
- My husband insists this is sacrilege, and serves his with shredded cheese and crumbled crackers.
- We agree that it is best served with an ice cold beer.