Recipe by ~In*Memory*of*Brats~
This is my Dad's Chili recipe. I had to practically torture it out of him when he heard I was wanting to post it to share on Recipezaar! I explained to him that it will get reviews and he told me to say that if you did't like it, you must have somehow screwed it up ;) I hope you enjoy it as much as we always do.
Top Review by Treven
Yankee chow alert!! This is tasty NJ chile, but it ain't chile. Kidney beans? Spanish Olives? This is tasty, provided you're above the Mason-Dixon Line. If you need REAL SW chili, look somewhere else.
- 3 lbs lean ground beef
- 6 large onions
- 6 bell peppers (red and green)
- 3 (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes (drained and broken up)
- 3 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 1⁄2 ounces chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste *HOT*)
- 1 (10 ounce) jarof pitted Spanish olives (drained)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown beef in large skillet then drain fat.
- Chop peppers and onions into"thumb size" chunks.
- Combine all ingredients into 10 Quart pot.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour stirring often.
- If you like your chili thinner than this, add beer to thin, not water.
- (When serving, we like to garnish with sharp cheddar or sour cream and crackers or cornbread.).