Recipe by honeydue
There is nothing better then the tradition of homemade "special" hot chocolate on Christmas eve. Until you try this you won't know what REAL hot chocolate really is.
Top Review by Annacia
Bittersweet and Kahlua, how could you miss? I used 1/2 an ounce of Kahlua for a single serving and that was a good amount for me. It hit the spot perfectly on this cold January afternoon. This top notch creation will be romantic for two by the fireside and make guests feel pampered. Yummmm. Made for Comfort Cafe, Jan 09.
- 5 cups homogenized milk
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate (NOT unsweetened) or 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped (NOT unsweetened)
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 fluid ounces Kahlua
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring milk, cocoa powder and sugar to simmer in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat, whisking frequently.
- Add chocolate; whisk until melted and smooth.
- Add salt.
- Bring to simmer, whisking constantly until frothy.
- Mix in Kahlua at last minute if desired.
- Ladle into 4 mugs, top with whip cream if desired, and sprinkle with grated chocolate, cinnamon or marshmallows as desired.