Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
There's nothing like a big pot of hearty soup simmering away on the stove in chilly weather. Dad would often make a simple vegetable soup by simply opening up a can or two of whatever vegetables were in the cupboard. I've adapted it to using fresh and frozen veggies but the important part -- our "secret ingredient" is the same. For the very best vegetable soup don't leave out the cabbage. ;-)
- 2 lbs lean beef, cubed
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large onions
- 4 -5 medium potatoes
- 4 -5 carrots
- 2 lbs frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 lb frozen corn
- 1 lb frozen green beans (optional)
- 1 lb frozen peas (optional)
- 2 quarts diced tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 4 quarts beef stock
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup barley (optional)
- 1⁄4 head cabbage
- Using a very large pot that will hold at least 12qts, preferable more, brown the beef in the olive oil.
- Peel and dice onions and carrots. Dice potatoes, peeling if you prefer.
- Put everything except the barley and cabbage into the pot. Bring to a boil and simmer for 2-3 hours, stirring several times.
- Use a knife to shred the cabbage finely in strips as if for sauerkraut.
- Add cabbage and barley. Simmer for 1 hour, stirring several times.
- Serve with hearty, crusty bread.
- Note: If you have some odds and ends of cooked, unseasoned veggies hanging around in the fridge you can add them along with the cabbage and barley. Don't overdo broccoli or other cabbage-family veggies because some cabbage is necessary too much upsets the balance of flavors.
- Note: You can readily substitute fresh vegetables for frozen. I just use frozen because I usually make it in the winter when fresh veggies are not cost-effective.
- Note: Freezes well and is even better after sitting overnight.
Love this soup! It is exactly what I was looking for in making a vegetable soup!
We really loved this soup! I used all fresh veggies and with the cabbage it was so thick and hearty. A perfect meal for these cold winter nights. This is definitely my new favorite veggie soup. Thanks for posting!