Prep 72 hrs
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Dad's Pride Fruitcake
- 1 (7 ounce) package marzipan
- 6 ounces chopped dried figs
- 1 cup chopped dried pear half
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 1 cup currants
- 1 cup chopped dried apricot
- 1 cup diced dates
- 1 cup chopped dried prune
- 1⁄2 cup brandy
- 1⁄2 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 9 ounces none such condensed mincemeat, crumbled
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 8 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 DAYS before: Combine chopped dried figs, chopped dried pears, chopped dried apricots, chopped dried prunes, golden raisins, currants with brandy cover.
- 1 DAY before: Cut marzipan into 1/2 inch pieces place on plate in single layer, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze.
- BAKING DAY: Generously spray 4 8 x 33/4 x 21/2 disposable loaf pans with pan spray Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Beat 1 1/2 cups butter, sugar and brown sugar in large bowl until light.
- Beat in eggs 1 at a time, then vanilla, cardamom, nutmeg and salt.
- Stir in flour in 4 additions.
- Stir in dried fruit mixture and any soaking liquid from bowl, crumbled mincemeat, dates and nuts Gently stir in frozen marzipan pieces.
- Evenly spoon batter among prepared pans.
- Place pans on baking sheet.
- Bake until tester inserted into center of cakes comes out clean, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Cool cakes completely in pans on racks.
- You'll need 4 sections of cheese cloth Dip cheesecloth in brandy wrap each cake, wrap that in aluminum foil and put the cakes some place to season.
- Check it once a week to and re-soak cloth.
- (the cloth if it has dried out) Allow to season at least 3 weeks.
How many stars can I give, but 5, deserves many more. THE PERFECT FRUIT CAKE!! Now I can give "FRUIT CAKE" for XMAS that most everyone will enjoy. Thanks for sharing
thought that i would update my comments as i have now tasted this cake and there are too many words to describe it but here are a few yummy, moist, not too rich, very bozzy. I am definatly going to make this cake again for xmas.