My dad makes this every week for Sunday dinner and we never get tired of it! He usually doubles or triples the recipe so we can eat them through the week too. This recipe also makes amazing scones, just cut into squares, let them rise and then fry in heated oil. They're good! If you don't have instant potatoes you can use 3/4 cup of mashed potatoes and just forget about the other 1/2 cup of water. Time does not include rising time and serving size really depends on how big you make yours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl mix 1 cup of warm water, 1/2 cup sugar and 1 package of yeast. Set aside to soften.
- In another bowl blend 1/2 cup instant potatoes and 1/2 cup warm water.
- Add potatoes to the yeast mixture.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 cup shortening, 2 eggs and 2 cups of flour, beat well.
- Cover and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Mix in the remaining 3 to 3 1/2 cups of flour.
- Knead dough for 5 minutes and place in a well greased bowl.
- Cover with a damp towel and let rise.
- When dough has doubled in size, knead it down.
- Shape as desired, we use about fist sized rolls.
- Place on lightly greased cookie sheet and cook for about 15 to 20 minutes.