1/1 Photo of Dad's Potato Rolls
My dad makes this every week for Sunday dinner and we never get tired of it! He usually doubles or triples the recipe so we can eat them through the week too. This recipe also makes amazing scones, just cut into squares, let them rise and then fry in heated oil. They're good! If you don't have instant potatoes you can use 3/4 cup of mashed potatoes and just forget about the other 1/2 cup of water. Time does not include rising time and serving size really depends on how big you make yours.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2In a large bowl mix 1 cup of warm water, 1/2 cup sugar and 1 package of yeast. Set aside to soften.
- 3In another bowl blend 1/2 cup instant potatoes and 1/2 cup warm water.
- 4Add potatoes to the yeast mixture.
- 5Add 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 cup shortening, 2 eggs and 2 cups of flour, beat well.
- 6Cover and set aside for 10 minutes.
- 7Mix in the remaining 3 to 3 1/2 cups of flour.
- 8Knead dough for 5 minutes and place in a well greased bowl.
- 9Cover with a damp towel and let rise.
- 10When dough has doubled in size, knead it down.
- 11Shape as desired, we use about fist sized rolls.
- 12Place on lightly greased cookie sheet and cook for about 15 to 20 minutes.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dad's Potato Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (257 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 745.5
- Calories from Fat 193
- Total Fat 21.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 70.5 mg
- Sodium 437.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 114.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.0 g
- Sugars 17.2 g
- Protein 27.7 g